Frithelstock Village Hall History And Background Frithelstock Village Hall History And Background

Notices Frithelstock Village Hall History and Background

Posted: Sunday 9th May '21

Frithelstock Frithelstock Village Hall History and Background

Village Hall History

The current Village Hall is the converted former Village School, which was built in 1873 at a cost of £419 7s 6d and opened on 7 January 1874. It was only a two-room school-house but by the end of the first year had 88 pupils.

By 1955, however, the school roll had fallen to just 19 and on 19th October of that year notification was received that the school was to close. The last term was the summer term of 1957.

Although construction had been funded by public subscription the building reverted to Lord Clinton, the owner of the land, when it ceased to be used as a school. He offered the land and the property to the Parish Council for £250 with the intention that it be used as a Village Hall.

On February 12th 1958 a Special Parish meeting was held at the Old School to consider the offer and it was unanimously agreed that it should be purchased. Funds were raised locally and grants obtained to acquire the premises and undertake the conversion work which was estimated to cost £2,675.

The Hall was opened by the local MP, Percy Browne, on 13th May 1961. Since then there have been continuous improvements to the Hall and it’s facilities, including a major refurbishment and creation of a permanent bar in 2009/10 which cost over £40,000.

The full story with pictures of notable events can be found in Frithelstock Past and Present written by the late Michael Hearn.

Key contacts

All the contact details have been given for the local clubs and groups, but please do contact us if you have any questions about what you’ve seen on this website.
Church : XYZ 01805 623ZZZ
Village hall booking secretary: Jean Short 01805 623359
Playing field : Terry Warrington 01805 625235
W.I. : XYZ 01805 623ZZZ

Parish Clerk

Mrs Kate Graddock (BA Hons)
4 Springfield, Petrockstowe,
Devon, EX20 3HF

Phone: 07703 050496
Email: frithelstockpc@gmail.com

Copyright 2013-21 Frithelstock Parish Council | All Rights Reserved | Website by All Coast Media